Are you up for a beading challenge? If the answer is yes then head on over to Operation Tackle That Bead Stash where the October challenge is in full swing! With Hallowe’en coming up I thought Jet Black would be a good ‘colour scheme’ for this challenge and to my surprise it has been a big hit with quite a lot of entries already in. And if it isn’t enough to challenge yourself with an all-black-and-nothing-but-black project there’s also a £15 voucher to spend at RB Beads for one lucky winner! Hope to see you there :)
Here’s another freebie for you, just in time for Hallowe’en! My Blood Spatter bracelet/cuff pattern is worked in 2 drop peyote stitch and uses just two colours; I think the red on white is particularly gruesome ;)
And just a quick reminder that if you’re a cross stitcher you may be interested in another freebie, a Jack o’ Lantern pattern that I posted waaaaay back in 2009! Here’s the original post where you can find the link to the free pattern.
Please respect my copyright!
Although I’m offering these patterns for free, I still retain the copyright. Please don’t sell these patterns, make them into kits or publish them in any shape or form. Please ask my permission if you’d like to teach these patterns. Please don’t post the actual patterns to sites such as Pinterest or Facebook but the images above with links are fine. I’m happy for you to sell finished items made with these patterns, please give this blog a mention if you do. All text and images belong to The Crimson Moon.
At last my crazy bib-style eye necklace is finished! I did so much faffing around while making this, trying different stitches for the straps and clasp, that it’s a miracle it got made at all! In the end I went for spiral rope and a simple beaded ball and loop connection. I’ve used glass eye cabochons from 12mm to 25mm and also included some LunaSoft cabochons which were a gift from my lovely friend Sarah Tucker :) Despite the difficulties I had, I did enjoy making this and I’m really pleased with the finished piece. But would I make something like this again? Not on your Nelly!
Vortex is another peyote pattern that has previously been in my Etsy shop and is now being offered as a freebie! A swirly cuff pattern in two colours that’s so easy to make. I’ve used black and white here to get a 1960’s monochrome look but it would look equally fab in any colour scheme. The PDF contains the list of beads you need, a large numbered and coloured graph plus a word chart and you can download it HERE.
Please respect my copyright!
Although I’m offering this pattern for free, I still retain the copyright. Please don’t sell this pattern, make it into kits or publish it in any shape or form. Please ask my permission if you’d like to teach this pattern. Please don’t post the pattern itself to sites such as Pinterest or Facebook (although the image above with a link is fine). I’m happy for you to sell finished items made with this pattern, please give this blog a mention if you do. All text and images belong to The Crimson Moon.
Today I thought I’d do something that I very rarely do! I’ve mentioned now and again that I enjoy drawing but I never share photos of anything I’ve done. The main issue is that I never seem to finish anything so almost all of my drawings are mostly faces or head & shoulders with edges that just drift away into the paper. I’ve managed to draw a background on one of two but still, they’re never finished! I guess that’s why I’ve never felt confident enough to share them but today, as a compromise, I’m sharing parts of a few drawings I’m happy with. These four were done a few years ago using hair magazines for my models, the bottom left is from the back of Lady Gaga’s ‘The Fame Monster’ album…
I’ve started drawing again and this is an almost-full shot of my current work in progress. And look, I’ve actually got a body to go with this one! Here I’m using an image from Kittythecat-stock on DeviantArt to work from, printed out in black & white so that I could work outside…
I’ve been wanting to challenge myself with something a bit bigger than my usual quick as a flash makes for ages and had the idea of making a bib style necklace made up of multiple eyes. It’s not quite finished but I thought I would post my WIP (work in progress) here. So far it’s pretty much how I envisioned it; lots of different coloured eyes encased in black and stitched together in a random fashion. I also included some Lunasoft cabochons which were gifted to me by my lovely friend Sarah Tucker. Stitching the individual eyes was fun but putting them together…not so much! If I could start again I wouldn’t use the cats eye cabs, it’s so difficult getting them to line up while having the edge beads on two or even three sides lined up at the same time. Because of this I had to change the layout of the eyes and I got stuck halfway through as it wasn’t looking balanced enough for my liking. But I soldiered on, got back on track and I’m really happy with how this part of it has turned out.
1. Starting off; a few components made up and some more glued to black Beadsmith beading foundation waiting to be stitched.
2. Halfway through, just before I got stuck! In the photo it looks like I’ve cut the tail threads too short. I haven’t, they’re long…tangleably long. To begin with I was working with the tail threads still attached to the main piece in case I changed my mind and wanted to move some of them but it proved to be too frustrating! So I had to bite the bullet and secure the threads so that I could trim them off.
3. The finished bib section! It measures about 6″ top to bottom. I used both shiny and matte seed beads to add a bit of interest without straying from the black. I’ve just got to work on the necklace part now but I’m still trying to decide what stitch to use. Hopefully I’ll be showing the finished piece soon!