Today I thought I’d do something that I very rarely do! I’ve mentioned now and again that I enjoy drawing but I never share photos of anything I’ve done. The main issue is that I never seem to finish anything so almost all of my drawings are mostly faces or head & shoulders with edges that just drift away into the paper. I’ve managed to draw a background on one of two but still, they’re never finished! I guess that’s why I’ve never felt confident enough to share them but today, as a compromise, I’m sharing parts of a few drawings I’m happy with. These four were done a few years ago using hair magazines for my models, the bottom left is from the back of Lady Gaga’s ‘The Fame Monster’ album…
I’ve started drawing again and this is an almost-full shot of my current work in progress. And look, I’ve actually got a body to go with this one! Here I’m using an image from Kittythecat-stock on DeviantArt to work from, printed out in black & white so that I could work outside…
I’ve been wanting to challenge myself with something a bit bigger than my usual quick as a flash makes for ages and had the idea of making a bib style necklace made up of multiple eyes. It’s not quite finished but I thought I would post my WIP (work in progress) here. So far it’s pretty much how I envisioned it; lots of different coloured eyes encased in black and stitched together in a random fashion. I also included some Lunasoft cabochons which were gifted to me by my lovely friend Sarah Tucker. Stitching the individual eyes was fun but putting them together…not so much! If I could start again I wouldn’t use the cats eye cabs, it’s so difficult getting them to line up while having the edge beads on two or even three sides lined up at the same time. Because of this I had to change the layout of the eyes and I got stuck halfway through as it wasn’t looking balanced enough for my liking. But I soldiered on, got back on track and I’m really happy with how this part of it has turned out.
1. Starting off; a few components made up and some more glued to black Beadsmith beading foundation waiting to be stitched.
2. Halfway through, just before I got stuck! In the photo it looks like I’ve cut the tail threads too short. I haven’t, they’re long…tangleably long. To begin with I was working with the tail threads still attached to the main piece in case I changed my mind and wanted to move some of them but it proved to be too frustrating! So I had to bite the bullet and secure the threads so that I could trim them off.
3. The finished bib section! It measures about 6″ top to bottom. I used both shiny and matte seed beads to add a bit of interest without straying from the black. I’ve just got to work on the necklace part now but I’m still trying to decide what stitch to use. Hopefully I’ll be showing the finished piece soon!
Thank you so much to everyone who left a comment on my recent giveaway. I was so overwhelmed with all the wonderful comments I received that I decided to choose three winners instead of one! I used Random.org’s number sequence generator to pick the winners and the numbers that it gave are 20, 35 and 18 which are commenters Mary Redman, Shirley and Liz H!
Well done ladies! Please choose your four tutorials from my Etsy shop and email your choices to me at firstname.lastname@example.org :)
Wow, I’ve just noticed that I’ve gone over the 3000 sales mark on Etsy – that means it’s time for a celebration giveaway! Just comment on this post for the chance to win 4 tutorials of your choice from my shop! I’ll draw the winner at random on Sunday the 10th :)
Just a quick post to let you know that all of my tutorials and patterns are just £2.50 for a limited time! I can’t say when they’ll go back to their regular price as I haven’t decided yet, it’s just something I felt like doing for a little while. Find them in the Tutorials section of my Etsy shop and here on Craftsy.
Blighty is one of the peyote patterns that I’ve been selling in my Etsy shop but I’ve decided to offer it now as a freebie! It’s a funky take on the classic British Union Jack flag with shiny turquoise instead of royal blue but of course you can opt for the more traditional colours if you prefer. The PDF contains the list of beads you need, a large numbered and coloured graph plus a word chart and you can download it HERE.
Please respect my copyright!
Although I’m offering this pattern for free, I still retain the copyright. Please don’t sell this pattern, make it into kits or publish it in any shape or form. Please ask my permission if you’d like to teach this pattern. Please don’t post the pattern itself to sites such as Pinterest or Facebook (the image above with a link is fine). I’m happy for you to sell finished items made with this pattern, please give this blog a mention if you do. All text and images belong to The Crimson Moon.